Home » The History of Merpati Nusantara
The History of Merpati Nusantara
- In 1962, THE ESTABLISHMENT OF PN. MERAPATI NUSANTARA The success of the Indonesian Force in building Air Bridge in Kalimantan, became the basis for the government to establish a State Enterprise Under the Ministry of Transportation. Based on Government Regulation no. 19 in 1962, the State Enterprise of air regional transportation and versatile Merpati airline were established as a follow-up, hereinafter referred to as PN. Merpati Nusantara on September 6th1962
- Capitalize Rp. 10 million with four aircrafts of De Havilland Otter DHC-3 which were belong to Indonesian Air Force and two aircrafts of Dakota DC-3, Merpati airline began its operation to break the isolation of remote areas by linking Jakarta with Banjarmasin, Pangkalanbun and Sampit, Jakarta-Pontianak as well.
- In 1963, THE BEGINNING OF MERPATI’S OPERATION IN EAST REGION
With the submission of the Irian Jaya from the Dutch government to Indonesia Government , Merpati Nusantara had an abundance of operating rights and aircraft ownership from the former Dutch airline NV. De Krooinduif and received 3 Dakota DC-3, 2 Twin Pioneer and 1 Beaver as well from Garuda Indonesia in early 1964.
- In 1969, Merpati’s operational region was devided into two areas of operation, namely operation of MIB (Merpati West Irian) which included java island, Kalimantan, South Sumatra, West Nusa Tenggara then Merpati changed its name to the Merpati Nusantara Airline and since then the name of MNA is famous to society.
- In 1970, EARLY DEVELEOMENT OF MERPATI NUSANTARA
At the age of eight years, Merpati had been able to expand its operations by flying short-haul routes, medium and also long distances in accordance to the concession provided by the government. For that the region of Merpati already covered Nusantara region even to neighboring countries, such as Pontianak-Kuching and Palembang-Singapore route.
- In 1975, MERPATI BECOME PT.
With the stability of management and a more extensive network operation, convinced the government to company capability. There for on September 6th1975 the legal status was upgraded to a Company Corporation or PT. Merpati Nusantara Airlines. In 1975-1978 Merpati was assigned to transport Hajj pilgrims using Boeing707.
- With the capability of its fleet by 37 aircrafts, Merpati has been able to connect 97 cities in 19 provinces in Indonesia. In addition to serving as well International Air Volume (Charter Flight) for Manila-Denpasar route and Los Angeles-London route with Boeing 707 in 1976
- IN 1978, MERPATI BECAME A SUBSIDIARY OF GARUDA
In order to establish a national aviation organization in an integrated manner, the government handed over the control of Capital of the Republic of Indonesia for PT. Merpati Nusantara Airlines to PT. Garuda Indonesia Airways. This was stated in Government Regulation no.30 in 1978 hence Merpati became a subsidiary of Garuda.
- IN 1986, MERPATI NEW LOGO
Along with the signing of the first CN-235 aircraft referral, it also officially introduced a new logo of Merpati that depicted Wind waves which are interpreted as the Air Bridge. In early year Merpati adds flight operations network across its limits by opening Kupang-Darwin route.
- IN 1989,THE INTEGRATED OPERATION OF MERPATI-GARUDA
In order to improve efficiency in the areas of flight operations, implemented an integrated operation between Merpati with Garuda. The Government policy is asigned by the handover of Garuda 37 aircrafts to Merpati, DC-9 and F-28. In addition, some domestic routes of Garuda also handed over to Merpati
- IN 1991-1995, THE INAUGURATION OF MERPATIS FACILITIES
Merpati Maintenance Center which is located in Surabaya, known as MMF (Merpati Maintenance Facility) officially opened in 1991 as a propeller aircraft maintenance center which is the largest in Southeast Asia. In 1993, Merpati Nusantara Building located in Jakarta inaugurated its use by the Director of Garuda as the Commissioner of Merpati at that time. Subsequently in 1995, inaugurated Education Center and Training or Merpati Training Center which is located next to MMF Surabaya.
- IN 1996, MERPATI "GO INTERNATIONAL"
Increasing competition in air transport service business at the time encourage Merpati to expands out of Nusantara region, by opening the route to Melbourne and Perth using Airbus planes.
- IN 1997, MERPATI WAS SEPERATED OFFICIALLY FROM GARUDA
Based on Government Regulation no. 10 set in 1997 Merpati officially became an independent state exertion corporation since 29 April 1997.
- In 1999-2000, MERPATI’S GROWTH YEAR
In 1999 until 2000 is the stage of restructuring in various fields in order to improve its competitive position by sharpening the focus of Merpati's core business as a commersial air transportation and creating Competence Related Business through Strategic Business Units (SBU). In line with the progress made in 1999-2000 then the management declared 2000 as Merpati’s year of growth for the business development to always be in the forefront.
- ISO SUBMISSION
In early May 2000 handed over the certificate of ISO 9002 for Merpati Maintenance Facility in Surabaya in conjunction with the launch of the 2000 communication total program and a new slogan “Get the feeling”. And in the same year at 38th its anniversary Merpati received a certificate of ISO 9000 for MTC and ISO 9001 Aviation Safety. Subsequently on February 8th2001 Merpati received ISO 9002 for Bandung District.
- IN 2001 was a period full of challenges and opportunities for further Merpati’s business development. Increasing competition in the air force business, encouraged the birth of innovative efforts to improve services. In mid of 2001, Call & Fly service and Merpati Online were launched, a form of the first service diversification implemented by the National Airlines.
- In 2003 the Education Center of Merpati Training Center expanded its business market by receiving a certificate CASR 141 in the field of Operational Training for attendants, pilots, FOO. In 2003 Merpati Maintenance Facility capable of performing large-scale repairment of Boeing 737-200 aircraft types / with D-Check category.
- In 2004 Merpati’s Management began to implement a ERP-SAP computerized system for back office administration efficient. Then formed Merpati Commuter Services (MCS) in order to increase business opportunities with local governments. In the same year Merpati extended sales distribution channels by opening outlets in Bogor and Depok for customer convenience. In this year the start of the presidential flight.
- In 2008 is Improvement Year
The Government of the Republic of Indonesia through the Ministry of Finance approved Merpati’s capital increase up to Rp 300 Billion to improve the condition of the company, among others, to implement the HR Restructuring, Fleet Revitalization, Operations Relocation and improvement of cash flow. Including the sale of unproductive assets.
- In 2009, Merpati re-launched online service system. in this year Merpati implemented an integrated HR performance program through PMS or Performance Management System, as well as the launch of the Merpati Pilot School (MPS) to create the Merpati flight needs.
- In 2010, at the age of 48, the management decided to continue to make many efforts for company performance improvement, specially in financial condition recovery and the increase of company income. Thus efforts are mainly focused on:
A. Fleet additions and Rejuvenation (MA-60)
2. Safety improvement
3. Cost Savings
4. Revenue optimization
We must support and realize that the success will increase our welfare. So that go forward undeterred, through togetherness we improve morale and professionalism.
- Merpati’s President Director
Since its inception until recently, the Merpati’s President Director held by Air Commodore Henk Sutoyo Adiputro, Capt. Wibisono Roesnosiputri, the late The First TNI Air Marshal Suharto Santoso, the late Young TNI Marshal Sumardi Ramli, Mr. RAJ Lumenta, the late Mr.J.Soekarjo, Mr. Soeratman, the late Capt. F. H. Sumolang, Mr. Ridwan Fatarudin, Mr. Subroto Budiarto, Mr. Wahyu Hidayat, Mr. Hotasi Nababa, Mr. Cucuk Suryo Suprojo, the late Mr. Bambang Bhakti, Capt. Sardjono Jhony and it is currently held by Ir. Rudy H. Setyo Purnomo as Merpati president director.